That is the plan as I understand it and this is not small thing that is taking place!
I remember when The Bear Tavern was nothing more than a concept and a website, trying to raise a Citizen’s pledge. I have been working with them on occasion since Kickstarter!
To all of you at Bearn’s Reach and those who have supported them, I salute you for the path you have taken and what you have accomplished. Where you started, to where you are at now. Your group has always treated me with kindness and respect even if we do not agree on a topic. You have always included me as one of your own and shown me support where you have been able. Similarly you do the same with all in the community who are willing to work with you. Offering your time, advice, and resources as much as you are able to the betterment of all. What you have accomplished can truly be described as Epic!
So to see Beran’s Reach unrolling in R23 makes me smile!! As I understand the path this group has walked and while a fun one, it’s not an easy one! Being the news guy that I somehow became I get the opportunity to see and know a lot behind the scenes. So while I have not been able to personally contribute a lot of my time directly to this group, I have with no doubt feel like I have experienced it all with them.
Being included in conversations, thoughts and ideas, and observing every part of their growth from the first day I truly know and appreciate everything you have all gone through to get to where you are now. Finally I have observed myself the values you try to uphold. I can’t wait to see what you accomplish in the future!
Wait… You’re not familiar with The Bear Tavern or how Beran’s Reach came about? We need to not only get that changed but also get you up to date between now and R23 then! Let’s do this in more bite size chunks! I am going to do a series of posts between now and R23 each week. You will see them at some point between Friday evening and Sunday each week, until the weekend prior to R23 (I’ll be rather busy in game with the guild the weekend of R23, sorry!).
Let’s start with the who, what, when, where, how, and why! I am going to use the words of Duke Vallas himself from his post over at the official forum thread.
The community of The Bear Tavern has slowly but surely grown over its recent past, attracting visitors from all walks of life. Now well beyond the scope and scale of that originally intended, it has been decided that a different approach should be taken to support the community as a whole. As such, on the evening of the 3rd of February, the High Council of Beran’s Reach voted on and approved the formal creation of The Beran League, an organisation encompassing a range of Towns, Guilds and Businesses. This represents our first step in founding something bigger, a move which promises to deliver greater opportunities and events for those who wish to be involved. Our little community has begun to grow up.
So what is our one-sentence vision?
To forge and maintain a strong and stable community, protecting the citizens of New Britannia while promoting fairness and honesty.
What is our mission statement?
To serve and defend both the crown and the citizens of New Britannia though strength, unity and honour. To create an enduring union of Land Owners, Guilds and Businesses to promote, free dialogue, integrity and prosperity. To act as a force for good, to defend the lands from evil and to forge a bastion of hope in times of need.
So how will this impact the community?
• Everything runs as normal. There is no change in how the community works as it stands. We remain a big, happy family. We retain the open and inclusive ethos that we always have.
• The Bear Tavern remains a key influential institution to lend strength to the cause. However I’m hoping that this visibly puts it on a level peg (like it was previously) with other member groups.
• We’ll probably found a ‘Free Company’ to allow those who want to join the community without needing to be guilded to make use of.
• All guilds and player owned towns retain their sovereignty, being run as they see fit, however we’ll work up a common law system that ensures that everyone in the community is being looked after.
• Future opportunities to expand the Militia as and when we get bigger. More Militia Companies? Local Garrisons in participating towns?
• Lord British is formally recognized as ‘the boss’.
• ‘The League’ can also be wheeled out to deal with problems as they arise? Businesses threatened by crime? A guild being pressured by a local faction? ‘The League’ will address the situation.
I would like to welcome everyone, be it individuals, guilds, land owners or businesses to join us within The League. We intend to found a prosperous and open long-term community that will serve the people of New Britannia. We realize that this perhaps will not appeal to everyone and there is no pressure to take part, however, if you’d like to get involved in an organization such as this and give the League a go, our doors are open. If you have any questions or comments, please post below, otherwise feel free to contact me direct either here or via The Bear Tavern forums (to be repurposed into The Beran League forums in the near future).